The new age Hindi Film makers are unafraid to take the risk and touch subjects that not many would be comfortable in discussing openly. So now we have movies that talks about Erectile Dysfunction, Sperm Donor, LGBT and the latest being the one on Infertility and IVF!!
Good Newwz is a about two couple: one is ultra-swish played by Kareena Kapoor Khan and Akshay Kumar who are both career driven and now on their pursuit to have that elusive pregnancy and then there is another couple Diljeet Dosanj and Kiara Advani who play this naïve, out and loud couple from the land of the Bhangara i.e. Chandigarh. There is also a third couple who run the IVF Centre played by Adil Hussain and Tisca Chopra.
The couples land at the same IVF Centre and the wife’s are finally able to conceive albeit with the sperm of the other’s husband. So we have Kareena impregnated with Diljeet Dosanj’s spam and Kiara with the sperm of Akshay Kumar and the confusion that follows.
There are some really funny moments about couples timing their copulation with that of the ovulation cycle and trying to make the best of the short interval that they have. Some of the dialogues are crackling and leave you in splits. The confusion after the sperm exchange is fun in bits and pieces.
In all the plot is pretty wafer thin and we know where it’s going to lead. The lead couples are in top form. Kareena and Diljeet can we see you more often, Akshay please get out of your patriotic phase and act in some out and out comedy and Kiara keep doing what you are doing because you are fabulous.
While watching this film I couldn’t help but wonder how a manager at an automobile showroom with a journalist wife manages to have the flat that they have in Mumbai and the lifestyle that they live. This I am talking about Akshay and Kareena and then I realised it’s a Karan Johar film; no one is ever poor and not dressed to the hilt.
Despite some great scenes and funny first half the second half turns a little dramatic although luckily melodrama isn’t there but kind of drags a little longer than is required. The songs too seemed forced with the overplaying of the Punjabi music.
While you take a call on the above film, do remember to visit INDIRA IVF in case of any fertility related issues and not suffer goof-up bcoz they are the only lab in India with #RIWITNESS Technology !!
Mission Mangal is part fact-part fiction film about India’s mission to Mars. This success achieved in miniscule budget and by the team of underdogs!!
Following are the reasons why you should watch the film:
- First and foremost is to celebrate the success and achievements of ISRO. When some people were stuck in cattle there was a leader like Nehru and Scientist like Vikram Sarabhai who dared to dream. It was for their vision and nurturing talent and scientific temper that this mission was managed in a budget of around Rs. 450 crores, less than the budget of the Hollywood Film AVATAAR
- For Akshay Kumar : For he is the new age Manoj Kumar. SRK and Bhai can have their Eid and Diwali but Mr. Khiladi rules the box-office thru 15th August and patriotism.
- For the team of underdogs who come together to achieve greatness and proving everyone wrong.
- To have great back stories about the lead actors tackling themes such as Infertility, Casteism, Astrology, children abandonments of aged parents and most importantly maintaining the home-office equation by working women.
- For making sure that these back stories never deviate from the main plot.
- Luckily there are no melodramatic patriotic movements, no forced love angle and no jabardasti ke songs (well they could have had one less)
- For the great ensemble cast who seemed secure in their roles and didn’t seem to undercut anyone.
- For Vidya Balan who is in top form, btw when is she not? She is plays it perfectly as a women follows her passion without any guilt of compromising on her domestic front. For me she is the Lady Aamir Khan who can play any role with élan but again that may be unfair she is her own without any comparison.
- We Udaipurites have to watch this one as our very own INDIRA IVF as they are the brand partner for this film. Watching our home grown enterprise making a mark on the Silver Screen and internationally too is a proud-proud moment.
- For not making space jargon and science too complicated, by catering to the lowest common denominator.
- Every story has a hero and a villain and this one too has one. He is the devil’ advocate, American returned , NASA trained Scientist Dalip Tahil. लेकिन थोडा ज्यादा ही negative हो गए.
So you see I have gushed and gushed about this film and you too must do that by watching MISSION MANGAL !!
‘America ke paas Superman hai, Batman hai, Spiderman hai … lekin India ke paas Padman hai’ this line is delivered by one of the characters in the movie Padman to highlight the contribution and achievements of Lakshmikant Chouhan – The Padman.
It surely takes lot of courage to put your money where your mouth is and bring on the silver screen a taboo and sensitive subject such as menstruation and female hygiene that also a leading actor as the main protagonist.
The story is based on a real life character that is being played by Akshay Kumar an 8th pass welder who in the opening sequence of the movie is getting married and who wants to make life easy for his new wife – Radhika Apte ; from designing a convenient pillion seat on his bicycle to making a onion cutter from a toy to ease her crying. The only thing that leaves him frustrated is the use of a dirty cloth by his wife during her menses and this is how he embarks on the journey from buying branded sanitary pads to using indigenous methods of copying the same. From convincing medical students to try his product to himself trying the same with animal blood and a football tube replicating as an uterus.
This not only leaves his wife but also his sisters and mother frustrated and embarrassed by his antics and the taunts of the village folks leading to their estrangements from him. This does not deter him and he goes on his journey from becoming a domestic help to ever a masseur to a moneylender to fulfill his dream which he finally realizes with the help of a Tabla Player /MBA- Sonam Kapoor and her IIT Professor father and also helping the poor women becoming selling these pads and turning entrepreneurs.
It’s an Akshay Kumar film all the way who sinks his teeth deep in the role playing the Character with honesty and spirit supported ably by the other players. The moments between him and Radhika Apte feel genuine and real. What I fail to understand is what was the reason Sonam Kapoor is shown as professional Tabla Player , I mean she could have been just anyone professional but a tabalchi??
I remember some time back visited an NGO in Udaipur that makes reusable clean cloth sanitary pads and had shown us the same and some of my friends just appreciated the idea but squirmed at the suggestions of holding and feeling the quality of a new pad. Go watch this movie just to bring a topic such as this to mainstream that also entertains, though sometimes it does gets preachy and is little too long but to encapsulate a man’s junoon for a movie does take time to retell.